Vomiting toddler sent home from hospital with ibuprofen... dies later
LONDON July 20: A two-year-old girl died just 22 hours after doctors sent her home from hospital with ibuprofen, an inquest heard.
Michelle Fernando began displaying flu-like symptoms one week after her mother Uthpala, 27, fell ill swine flu.
Her concerned father Rashid, 30, took her to Bristol Children’s Hospital but doctors sent her home with the painkiller and advised her parents to give her plenty of water.
Michelle suddenly stopped breathing the following day and she was rushed back to hospital by ambulance but pronounced dead on arrival.
Traces of the deadly swine flu virus were found in her nose and throat but a pathologist ruled that she died of pneumonia and septicaemia.
The inquest at Flax Bourton Coroner’s Court, near Bristol, heard how doctors examined the toddler but sent her home after diagnosing a viral infection on November 17, 2009. But the next night she started having difficulty breathing.
When her parents dialled 999, they were told the problems did not sound life-threatening, and an ambulance would arrive in up to 20 minutes.
But moments later Michelle stopped breathing and they called 999 again - and the ambulance arrived minutes later. Michelle was rushed to hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
Avon coroner Maria Voisin heard a post-mortem examination found the medical cause of death was pneumonia and septicaemia.
Traces of swine flu, otherwise known as the H1N1virus, were found in Michelle’s nose and throat.
An investigation was launched straight after the toddler’s unexpected death, with the hospital trust carrying out a child death review.